Installation issues

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Hey Dominic - Bonjour!

First of all - you and your team did a fantastic job - really appreciate the hard work :)

My concern is that I need a serious help man for the installation of LCSK as I am not an expert into MVC...

I have read the previous discussion and got your video (http://dominicstpierre.net/archive/2007/08/26/livechat-starter-kit-installing-the-september-2007-beta-video.aspx) but not more there...

Do you have some more documentation ?

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Hi,

Thanks you, glad the product is helpful.

The 1.0 version will only work on an ASP.NET MVC enable website. That does not mean your main application should be an MVC application at first. Couple of option here, because I'm assuming the question is "How to install LCSK on a standard ASP.NET WebForms app" ?

First option would be to allow MVC into your existing application, that will be easy if you have a Web Application project type not an ASP.NET WebSite project type. You know this if you have App_Code folder you have a WebSite project type.

If you have an Application check this out from Scott Hanselman : http://www.hanselman.com/blog/IntegratingASPNETMVC3IntoExistingUpgradedASPNET4WebFormsApplications.aspx 

If you have a WebSite project type, the longest route would be to transfer to an Application type project and integrate MVC into it.

Or create a blank MVC 3 app and install LCSK into it.

You might check the Documentation tab as well for documentation.

Hope it's help,

Dominic

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM
Edited Jan 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Hi Dominic, Thanks for your quick reply.

I am getting some issue while settings the connectionString and implementing the database.

I will explain from the starting:

-          As per your recommendation I have installed ASP.NET MVC 3 on my server 2008 64bit running Visual Studio 2010,

-          Downloaded the latest version of LCSK from http://livechatstarterkit.codeplex.com/,

-          Build the solution and It was successful,

-          Run it and the first page appear – clicked on the Chat Button,

-          The second window opened and got the following error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

-          Hence I checked the webconfig connectionString under LCSK.Web

Changed from Data Source=devpc\sqlexpress; to Data Source=.\test; and did not change the remaining.

(“test” is the name of the instance of my machine)

-          Re-run and got the new error:

Cannot open database "hlsim" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'WV003239\Administrator'. 

-          Modified the connectionString as follows

<add name="LCSK" connectionString="Data Source=.\test;Initial Catalog=hlsim;User Id=AdminTest; Password=MyPassword;"providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

(Of course I have created a user named “AdminTest” inside my SQL and gave him all rights as well as opened all the remote connections and pipes…) 

-          Re-run and still getting the same error

Cannot open database "hlsim" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'AdminTest'.

-          Even changed the “Intial Catalog” to “Database” but same thing…

<add name="LCSK" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Data Source=.\sqlexpress; Database=hlsim;Trusted_Connection=true;" />

-          As I know MVC Model uses code-first concept and create the database on the fly! Is that may cause the error???

In meanwhile I was checking if the database was created using Management Studio and the answer is NO

-          To isolate the issue I created 2 instances: 1 with SQL Dev 2008 R2 – 1 with SQL Dev 2008 Express Edition but with both I am getting the same issue…

-          In your documentation tab, regarding the section:

Installing the database For the moment the database should exists already, so if you have an existing database just run the installation process, if not, create a new database before requesting the install page.

When I downloaded the code there was no database and even I ran the installation process through VS 2010: Tools > Library Package Manager > Add Library Package Reference > LCSK

The installation was successful but no databases installed…

-          At last, I thought It may SQL issues somewhere so I went to asp.net/mvc site and downloaded their basic demo “Movie List” and it worked fine…

It creates the database on the fly and no credentials issues… http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/getting-started-with-mvc3-part1-cs

Please help Dominic.

Thanks. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Hi Dominic, Thanks for your quick reply.

I need again your help as I am getting some issue while settings the connectionString and implementing the database.

I will explain from the starting:

- As per your recommendation I have installed ASP.NET MVC 3 on my server 2008 64bit running Visual Studio 2010,

- Downloaded the latest version of LCSK from http://livechatstarterkit.codeplex.com/,

- Build the solution and It was successful,

- Run it and the first page appear – clicked on the Chat Button,

- The second window opened and got the following error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

- Hence I checked the webconfig connectionString under LCSK.Web

Changed from Data Source=devpc\sqlexpress; to Data Source=.\test; did not change the remaining.

(“test” is the name of the instance of my machine)

- Re-run and got the new error:

Cannot open database "hlsim" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'WV003239\Administrator'.

- Modified the connectionString as follows

<add name="LCSK" connectionString="Data Source=.\test;Initial Catalog=hlsim;User Id=AdminTest; Password=MyPassword;"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

(Of course I have created a user named “AdminTest” inside my SQL and gave him all rights as well as opened all the remote connections and pipes…)

- Re-run and still getting the same error

Cannot open database "hlsim" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'AdminTest'.

- Even changed the “Intial Catalog” to “Database” but same thing…

<add name="LCSK" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Data Source=.\sqlexpress; Database=hlsim;Trusted_Connection=true;" />

- As I know MVC Model uses code-first concept and create the database on the fly! Is that may cause the error???

In meanwhile I was checking if the database was created using Management Studio and the answer is NO

- To isolate the issue I created 2 instances: 1 with SQL Dev 2008 R2 – 1 with SQL Dev 2008 Express Edition but with both I am getting the same issue…

- In your documentation tab, regarding the section:

Installing the database For the moment the database should exists already, so if you have an existing database just run the installation process, if not, create a new database before requesting the install page.

When I download the code there was no database and even I ran the installation process through VS 2010: Tools > Library Package Manager > Add Library Package Reference > LCSK

The installation was successful but no databases installed…

- At last, I thought It may SQL issues somewhere so I went to asp.net/mvc site and downloaded their basic demo “Movie List” and it worked fine…It creates the database on the fly and no credentials issues…

http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/getting-started-with-mvc3-part1-cs

Please help Dominic.

Thanks.

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:25:39 -0800
Subject: Re: Installation issues [LiveChatStarterKit:242235]

Hi,
Thanks you, glad the product is helpful.
The 1.0 version will only work on an ASP.NET MVC enable website. That does not mean your main application should be an MVC application at first. Couple of option here, because I'm assuming the question is "How to install LCSK on a standard ASP.NET WebForms app" ?
First option would be to allow MVC into your existing application, that will be easy if you have a Web Application project type not an ASP.NET WebSite project type. You know this if you have App_Code folder you have a WebSite project type.
If you have an Application check this out from Scott Hanselman : http://www.hanselman.com/blog/IntegratingASPNETMVC3IntoExistingUpgradedASPNET4WebFormsApplications.aspx
If you have a WebSite project type, the longest route would be to transfer to an Application type project and integrate MVC into it.
Or create a blank MVC 3 app and install LCSK into it.
You might check the Documentation tab as well for documentation.
Hope it's help,
Dominic
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (LiveChatStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email LiveChatStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Hi,

Sorry about that, here is I hope a clearer explanation on how to set up the database.

1. You need to have an existing database (make sure the user who run your website has access to create table, data read and data write to this database) on 2008 it should be NETWORK SERVICE or you may specify a SQL user/password

2. On the web.config there should be no entry in the <connectionstrings> named LCSK so the installation process can create SQL tables

3. Go to /LiveChat/Install that should start the installation process and it will create the web.config entry for your connectionstring

Let me know if it fix your issue.

Have a nice day!

Dominic

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Hey Dominic, It’s working ;)

Thanks man for your help – Your third point was the main…

For the future user - I am writing the steps that I have taken:

• Under LCSK.Web Project – I left the connectionString named LCSK as it is but modify only the path of the Data Source as follows:

<add name="LCSK"     connectionString="Data Source=.\sqlexpress; Initial Catalog=hlsim; Integrated Security=True;"    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

• Then I opened my Management Studio, connect to my local SQLEXPRESS instance, thereafter I created an empty database named “hlsim” (as per the name mentioned on the Initial Catalog under the above web.confib)

-          On the Admin textbox, enter your password

-          On the SQL Server Name, enter the name of the instance you specified on the web.config (for ex: sqlexpress)

-          On the Database Name, enter the name of the database you specified on the web.config (for ex: hlsim)

Voila!!!

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Hey Dominic, It’s working ;)

Thanks man for your help – Your third point was the main…

Voila!!!

Hey by the way, your project is interesting...if I wanna to participate...what's the procedures ?
cya

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:09:30 -0800
Subject: Re: Installation issues [LiveChatStarterKit:242235]

Hi,
Sorry about that, here is I hope a clearer explanation on how to set up the database.
1. You need to have an existing database (make sure the user who run your website has access to create table, data read and data write to this database) on 2008 it should be NETWORK SERVICE or you may specify a SQL user/password
2. On the web.config there should be no entry in the <connectionstrings> named LCSK so the installation process can create SQL tables
3. Go to /LiveChat/Install that should start the installation process and it will create the web.config entry for your connectionstring
Let me know if it fix your issue.
Have a nice day!
Dominic
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (LiveChatStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email LiveChatStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com